Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Fall

So we had our first "fall" experience here at the Davin household... or should I say I had the first fall experience... cause it was my fault completely. I swear the boy was on the couch for .02 seconds... I looked over at a pair of shorts, debating on whether he needed them for his outing, and BAM before I knew it, the kid was on our 1982 pink carpet.  OH. MY. GOD.  This was the WORST feeling I have ever felt in my entire life. Usually when he is on the couch my gigantic ass is blocking him from rolling off, but for some reason it didn't work this time. Next thing I knew, I looked over and he was on the ground. I began to panic... I picked him up although I was hyperventilating... then I began to curse loudly( this entire time my husband was in the shower, go figure) and then came the sobbing. The loud, wailing sobbing(from me, of course). Geoff jumped out of the shower and asked what was wrong. I told him, and he looked at me like I was nuts. " Honey, babies fall all the time. It's okay." Then Arlo began to cry--- he hadn't before I started to lose it. Geoff kissed me on the forehead and swiftly took Arlo out of the room. " Mommy needs a minute" he told him. I swear I cried so hard my entire pillow was soaked... but I eventually pulled myself together. Minutes later my parents came over( they were in the nati for the weekend) and I told my mom what had transpired. " Laura", she said in her southern twang, " do you know how many times YOU fell off the bed??"
She then went on to say " It's obvious he is okay. Look at him!" ( and at this time he was smiling and goofing off in his johnny jump-up)  My in-laws came over shortly thereafter and my mother in law softly touched my arm. " Laura", she said, " I had two boys. Guess how many times they fell?!?"  I immediately felt better. Both my own mother and my mother in law comforted me in a way that no one else could. I am so incredibly lucky to have both of them here to offer advice and to be here for me. I don't think I would have recovered so quickly had it not been for them( and my husband). 

1 comment:

Nicke said...

I'm getting teary-eyed just reading that. It's so true that babies fall all the time but I know that panic you felt.
I was only home about a week when I accidentally scratched baby Ritchie's circumcision while changing his diaper. He started bleeding. Luckily Mom Hall was there. I freaked I was crying my brains out and she assured me saying Ritchie hadn't even noticed that I had done anything. She finished changing the diaper and consoling me as I'm screaming ("I killed my baby").
It was traumatic for me and he won't even remember it. But as a mom I think we signed up to worry about our babies for life. Thankfully we have awesome mom's, grandma's and mom-in-law's to help us realize what is worth worrying about.